Tuesday, March 8, 2011

General Survey on Music at DSC

Courtesy of arts.harvard.edu
            I recently conducted a general survey on music on Dixie State College campus. I asked several questions in it; a couple of demographic questions, questions about musical education in youth and what is important to my surveyees about music. My findings have supported what I am thinking about my paper thesis.
            All of the people surveyed were students and the majority of them were between the ages of 18-30. There were of course a couple of outliars in regards to age. My target audience was students because I wanted the opinions of young adults who already have children or who will have children in the next several years. I will use these specific opinions and answers of the students In my paper to establish the benefits of children being musically educated, especially appealing to pathos in regards to how most parents seem to want their children to have some sort of musical education because in their minds it will better the children.
            I also posed a questions asking surveyees to number factors when buying an instrument from one to four in terms of most important to least important. Almost all of the surveyees either had cost as the most important factor or second most important factor when buying an instrument.
            From these two points, I can, in my essay, introduce the viable option of buying a ukulele as an instrument in a household, for children or for adults to learn because you can get a good quality ukulele for a relatively cheap price (as far as instrument pricing goes) and they are child size.
            Overall, I feel the survey went very well and it will provide me with a lot of information and statistics which I will use to support my thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment